Hi Ruth,

My understanding  is that that the hold-up is at the FDA level.  STN stimulators are being implanted by
some experimental surgeons approved by the FDA.  My understanding is that Medicare will pay for this if it
is done by these particular surgeons.  I know that surgeons at Emery in Atlanta,  NYU in New York and
Rush-Presbyterian in Chicago are authorized. Some insurance companies will also pay but they often don't.
The cost for paying for the procedure and devices is about  $50,000.

The FDA is between a rock and a hard place with this and other situations.  To officially approve the
device for the particular location of implantation  they must have evidence of safety and efficacy.  I
believe there is an increased risk with implantation of an electrode at the STN over say the thalamus for
which it is already approved  since the STN is deeper and and in a more vascular area. We will bitch
either way. If it is delayed they are holding it back and if it is OKed and trouble develops later then
they are not protecting us (e.g. Tasmar).  One would hope they can use the European Data to speed things
up.  Also this status of not being approved might give some people who are uninsured a chance to be part
of the study group and possibly get free surgery (although I don't know this for a fact-  they might just
use medicare patients, insured (who will pay)  and  self-payers in their series.

Maybe Bob Fink can comment on this as well,

I am to be evaluated at NYU sometime in the next few months.  I have seen the surgeon at Rush but because
of the fetal transplant study I am in,  it is preferable that I be seen outside of Rush since the surgeon
will need to know what group I was in in the double blind study I am already in.  I have yet to clear it
with my insurance company and I obviously will need  to clarify the situation prior to any surgery.

The preliminary data on STN is extremely exciting  and I am looking  forward to the chance of trying it
out. If anyone has had the surgery to date I would love to hear from you.

Charlie

--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin