Dear Members of the  International List (and lurkers!),

     For those among us who are filmed for the Lehrer News Hour, or for
any radio or
television broadcast, I have come up with 10 public policy issues, and
funding issues,
that we PWP's and CG's face...

What do Listmembers think are important issues to raise?
What other issues are important?

 Here are my 10 agenda Items.  What are yours?
 Your comments, please? Let's generate a discussion...

 Please Note : PWP - Person with Parkinson's; CG - Caregiver

10 AGENDA ITEMS:

>                1) Re-shaping  public and media PERCEPTIONS
of the "typical PWP",  and increasing PWP and CG visibility, especially,
on television;
>                 2) Developing coordinated fund - raising EVENTS FOR
cellular RESEARCH
on the causes and potential cures of PD, especially during World,
national and local
activities each  April (PD Awareness Month) ;
>                  3) Empowering PWP's to attract more philanthropic,
private, federal, state or provincial, and local FUNDS FOR PD-FRIENDLY
HOUSING, and for
long-term, qualified AT-HOME CARE, paid appropriately;
>                   4)Establishing CRISIS PREVENTION plans for poor and
minority(including gay) PWP's at greatest risk;
>                   5)Extending mobile SCREENING clinics to  the
inner cities and to isolated rural areas;
>                  6) RE-EMPLOYING PWP's as consultants (I am one
example of a PWP with energies and hopes, but no income except SSDI)and
as policy-makers
>                  7) PRESSURING the abysmally-flawed (American) N.I.H.,
which has failed to
fund the $100,000,000.00 Udall Law (should Harold Varmus be pressured to
RESIGN?);
>                  8) Planning public INFORMATION CAMPAIGNS, especially
through TV and radio, about
medical, surgical and other treatment options;
                    9) Creating respite care and support services for
overwhelmed and exhausted
PD CAREGIVERS; .
>                 10) Prioritizing MEDIA COVERAGE OF RESEARCH of genetic,
cellular and
biochemical research on the various forms of Parkinson's.

              I can envision that a panel discussion would be an
excellent format for a TV broadcast
SERIES on   "Issues in Conquering PD" .  It might include a roundtable of
leading PWP's and CG's on the above, and other issues.  Each programme
might add specially invited guests.

 Are there any TV stations out there who are PBS-affiliated or
University-affiliated who would be interested in discussing my ideas?
Although it's unclear what will be covered in 1999, I hope this Agenda is
a good starting point in that quest.

Sincerely,
Ivan Suzman (207) 797-8488

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses    25  deg. F   :-)