Ivan got up early this morning and produced an agenda' or list of issues
affecting PD.  I was also up early and  made another list from my
(Newfoundland) point of view.

In this message I repeat Ivan's 10 items  and my 10 list points.    Who is
next?

IVAN'S  10 AGENDA ITEMS:

1) Re-shaping  public and media PERCEPTIONS of the "typical PWP",  and
increasing PWP and          CG visibility, especially, on television;

 2) Developing coordinated fund - raising EVENTS FOR cellular RESEARCH

     on the causes and potential cures of PD, especially during World,
national and local activities

     each  April (PD Awareness Month) ;

3) Empowering PWP's to attract more philanthropic, private, federal, state
or provincial, and local

     FUNDS FOR PD-FRIENDLY HOUSING, and for long-term, qualified AT-HOME
CARE, paid       appropriately;

4)Establishing CRISIS PREVENTION plans for poor and minority(including
gay) PWP's at

   greatest risk;

5)Extending mobile SCREENING clinics to  the inner cities and to isolated
rural areas;                      6) RE-EMPLOYING PWP's as consultants (I
am one example of a PWP with energies and hopes,

      but no income except SSDI)and as policy-makers

7) PRESSURING the abysmally-flawed (American) N.I.H., which has failed to
fund the $100,000,000.00 Udall Law (should Harold Varmus be pressured to
RESIGN?);

8) Planning public INFORMATION CAMPAIGNS, especially through TV and radio,
about

     medical, surgical and other treatment options;

9) Creating respite care and support services for overwhelmed and
exhausted PD CAREGIVERS; .   10) Prioritizing MEDIA COVERAGE OF RESEARCH
of genetic, cellular and biochemical research on the various forms of
Parkinson's.

ANNE'S LIST OF DISCUSSION POINTS

*1      Improve communications between National office and regions.

*2      Dispose of the old myths about Parkinson's.  Educate the public
about the new model and

increase awareness.

*3      Increase the funds raised for research and for services by more
than 7% each year.

*4      Promote the team approach to Parkinson care (as developed in UK &
Australia) Use the Movement Disorder Clinics as examples of how to do it
right.

*5      Take  PD information teams into inner cities and remote and rural
communities. Provide care after diagnosis.

*6      Lobby governments to extend drug coverage to seniors in all
provinces. Allow co-payment and other ways to spread the money, yet meet
the need.

*7      Consider starting some drug coverage for under 65s with
catastrophic costs (see Ontario plan).

*8      Hold a competition to select and build one or more parkihomes for
YOPPs.

*9      Build bridges to independent societies in BC Alberta Saskatchewan
and Ontario.

*10     Expose the holdups affecting Canadian cellular and neurological
research.

        END OF LIST