At 06:15 PM 1/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>What was clear to me from the survey (and what I had felt prior to the
survey) is that  most people
>see some sort of a problem with volume and relevance

Those of us that have been here for the duration have seen the same when we
were a 10 to 20 message day list.

We are an international list that has great resources that knows no
nationality, or creed or religion.

People come and people go. What they receive is what we give them.

Those that are angry, align with those that are angry.
Those that need factual information are given factual information.
Those who are concerned children or spouses are given information and hugs.
Those that are just diagnosed are given advice.
Those who are contemplating new treatments are joined with those who have
been there done that.
Support organizations are pointed to documentation that can be used in
their newsletter.

Drug company representatives lurk to see how their drugs are being
perceived and used in the Parkinson's community.

Equipment manufacturers do the same.

Surveys measure opinion of the minority, the silent majority are members of
our family but are affected by the opinions of the minority.

Some are like I was as a young sailor far from home....the shout of "Mail
Call" would lift the spirits of any. New messages from the parkinsn
listserv are looked forward to by many that have made the parkinsn list
their life.

"Authorities" come and go with the seasons...the same is true with the
personalities of Parkinsn. The authorities feel the need to answer every
question and join every thread.

The long view I have always had for the Parkinsn list is at the end of the
day...have we given information, hope and support to those who have asked
us. I keep that in mind regardless how big the list gets...regardless how
may silly messages I see...and how many nationalistic topics seem to go on
and on, we are here to help...when called upon.

I have no time for petty bitching and moaning...a job is to be done
here...regardless.

The Parkinsn list is not run by the majority but by one. Opinions come and
go but in the end Laissez-faire prevails.

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Search the Parkinsn Archive Treasures on line at:
               http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/archive/patp.html
             *NEW*Click the page ads and use the new search tools*NEW*
John Cottingham