John and List.

I appreciate your perspective as an active- long timer and especially your more active involvement
when I first joined the list several years ago. I hope that you and others are not taking my attempt
to look at the list as an attempt to force my opinions or views on others..  When this whole debate
started with my doing the survey with an unfortunate title I was trying to get a sense and give the
list a sense of where peoples opinions lie.  I am overwhelmed by how negatively the asking of
questions has been taken. An organism like the list if it does not  develop self-awareness it will
be carried along by forces of its environment and its innate structure for better or worse.  I don't
see anything wrong with taking a look at ourselves and reassessing our purposes and goals from time
to time.  We may well find out like you suggest that we are accomplishing pretty much what we want
to accomplish.  But we should take a look at it.  Just as people grow by taking stock of their lives
once in a while I think it is healthy for the list as well.

I do not think the list is a democracy or necessarily should be ruled by majority rule.  But if we
know what we want to accomplish and can reach a consensus about it we have  a much better chance of
maximizing our value to the PD community.  What do we want the list to be and are we accomplishing
that goal?

Does anybody see a problem with that as a discussion topic?

 Charlie

--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin