Thank you Murray for the websites re the Speech Enhancer.

I did look them up and whilst I found out a lot of information - there was
nothing on cost (just a lot on getting funding for it!).  So it must be
expensive????

This is some of the info:
"The device is lightweight, battery powered and simple to use.  The person
talks into a special microphone and their voice comes out instantly,
sounding like them, except clearer. ... won't make you sound like a tv
announcer, but does enable you to be better understoon, especially by
strangers.  The special microphone makes the instrument usable in noisy
places.  The device has been tested for three years and is in use at the
Mayo clinic and other hospitals and rehabilitation centres in the USA &
Canada.

The Speech Enhancer does require some articulation in order to operate,
although only a small percentage of "normal". Also there is no volume
limitition - has a super sensitive processor which can work with voices
from very loud to a whisper inaudible to the human ear.

They mention that some potential "candidates" with severe dysarthria can
have their speech improved by speech therapy sufficiently to then be able
to use the Speech Enhancer.

The address for those interested is
Donna Jordan
Electronic Speech Enhancement Inc
1115 Ridge Rd
St Louis
Missouri 63021

Ph: 1314 394 0770
Fax: 1314 394 9442

Now... since I live in Perth Western Australia, I wonder if there is some
kind List member who would phone this company on my/our behalf and let me
know
A. Cost
B. Availablility in Australia/overseas

Sincerely