Levodopa and Melanoma                              12 Jan 1999
Thanks, Kathrynne Holden, for your post of 10 Jan regarding
levodopa (as in Sinemet) and melanoma (skin cancer). I was
UNAWARE! First, I looked in my trusty PDR. Then, I downloaded all
the "available" abstracts (battling W95 and my NEC "Printer From
Hell" at every step). Some of the key articles Kathrynne cited
are in journals that I shall see on Friday when I next visit the
library, but here's the scoop thus far:

Physicians Desk Reference p.874:SINEMET:CONTRAINDICATIONS:
"Because levodopa may activate a malignant melanoma, SINEMET
should not be used in patients with suspicious undiagnosed
skin lesions or a history of melanoma."

Sober A et al; JAMA 1978:
"..of 1099 [melanoma pts]..only one had been taking levodopa.
...[it] must be playing an inconsequential role.."

Bernstein et al; Arch Derm 1980:
"Although the association between levodopa is tenuous, careful
monitoring of pigmentary changes in patients receiving levodopa
is advised."

Rosin A, Braun M; Cutis 1984:
"...data do not [show that levodopa] promotes development of
malignant melanoma. However, patients...should be monitored..."

Rampen F; J Neur N'surg Psych 1985:
"...The capacity of levodopa to induce melanomas and its alleged
adverse effect on the clinical course of the disease are
questioned."

Kochar A; Am J Med 1985:
"...if malignancy is found, alternate therapies for treatment of
parkinsonism should be considered."

Weiner W et al; Neur 1993:
"...only anecdotal evidence to support a link between levodopa
and melanoma. In fact, levodopa has an antitumor effect on
melanoma...evidence suggests that [Sinemet] can be used safely
in patients with a history of melanoma."

Pfutzner W, Przybilla B; J Am Acad Dermatol 1997:
"The incidence of malignant melanoma is rising....literature
does not provide evidence of [a link to levodopa]. Despite this,
it is suggested that patients treated with levodopa,
particularly those with history of malignant melanoma, be
observed carefully..."

CONCLUSION: The age of these references indicates that serious
fears have pretty well been laid to rest. But as in all therapy,
caution is advised. DON'T stop Sinemet without definite specific
reason, such as unusual susceptibility or history of melanoma.

Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694