Yo, Everyone.
I might as well throw in my two millennium cents worth.
If a child is born one second after midnight, next January first--year
2000--How old will it be at one second after midnight the following January
first? By my calculation, it will be one year old.
Zeros, no matter how many of them you string together, amount to nothing.
You can't be born in the year nothing. There never was a year 0000. There
was a starting point when the calendar register was on 0000, but the
register began moving immediately, and after it had been running for 365
days, the register indicated 0001. So there!
I predict that the clocking in of the year two thousand will be the most
gigantic non-event of our generation. The sun, moon and planets will orbit
on schedule, the tides will ebb and flow as usual, the swallows will arrive
at Capistrano as is their habit, and so on and so on.
The only effect of this make believe crisis will be felt on assorted
computers that have not had their inner workings attended to.
It does pose a huge question in my mind though: How on earth could the
thousands of brilliant minds that conceived and built the whole computer
world as we know it, have been so dumb as to not have foreseen the year
2000 bearing down on them? Tell me that, eh.
Cheers. Paul Jones.