Ivan 'n Fellow List-Family....

SMAAAAACK!!! <----Barb wallops the hapless Ivan upside his noggin)
Pay attention here, Ivan, m'friend, 'cause ya KNOW I calls 'em as I
sees 'em and and have some thoughts I want to share with you (in no
particular order).  Read on:

You live in a small town in a lightly populated state where all the
differences, the quirks, the conditions known to humankind are
greatly magnified because ALL differences STAND OUT in that type of
hot-house atmosphere.

In a small city in Maine an articulate not-so-old Gay male with
Parkinson's who doesn't take sh*t from ANYONE is GOING to
be noticed and probably in a negative light because differences
are much more noticeable in a small group than a large one.

 If you lived in L.A. or that lovely city by the Bay, San Francisco,
New York, or other large city,  you'd be "just another person," and
few would bat an eye at your sexual preference because there's tons
of OTHER things folks can hate.  As sad as that is,  it seems that
some people just HAVE to find folks to hate.

But Ivan, THIS isn't a case of personal dislike - it's all about
making money...

TV stations and other media are BUSINESSES - and in today's highly
competitive world they're that more than ever before.  First and
foremost, the purpose of a business is to MAKE MONEY.    EVERYTHING
else takes second place to that.

IF interviewing openly Gay people was an income producer for a TV
program's sponsors, you can bet you'd be seeing them Gay fellas all
over the tube.

IF someone comes up to you and says "Ivan, I don't like Gays,"
whether or not you LIKE to hear that, it's most likely they're
speaking the truth.   That individual doesn't like ANY Gay, and their
feelings are directed directly at you in that moment.  THAT'S
PERSONAL, and it hurts.

If a TV station or program.... a BUSINESS which owes it's very
existence to funding from  commercial sponsors, either ignores
or doesn't point out to the vast majority of it's customers that a
featured guest on a program is Gay, OR sidesteps dealing with
potential controversy by not even bothering to have Gay guests on the
program, THAT'S BUSINESS.  IT'S *NOT* PERSONAL.  And despite your
pain, you should attempt to visualize the greater picture in this
case, and try to understand the power of the almighty dollar.

The fact of the matter,  IN THIS ONE CASE, is that your ego is
bruised, but you'll survive that IF you put a different, more
realistic spin on how you see this.

It's a BUSINESS and most likely in evaluating future guests, having a
guest speaker with PARKINSON'S  - in light of recent publicity about
a young, much-loved Hollywood luminary revealing he has PD - is now
desirable because it will make MONEY for the sponsor.

IF that guest speaker is an articulate, heterosexual,
not-even-middle-aged woman who's children were removed from the
family home by apparently misguided local agencies due to their
mother's having Parkinson's Disease, THAT will be a money-maker for
the sponsors.  THAT person with Parkinson's is a MOTHER and
MOTHERHOOD is still up there along with apple pie and the American
flag as being a national sacred cow (tho the latter has taken a bit
of a beating in the last few years).

When there's a choice like this, you MUST remember - IT'S NOT
PERSONAL.  And at least the issue of PARKINSON'S Disease IS being
publicly addressed by a respected media entity.  (and those sparkly
white teeth and winning smile yours will look just as good on the
NEXT TV program you're on... honest!) <smile>

Soooo, cool it, Ivan, 'cause IT AIN'T PERSONAL!

Sending ya a BIG hug and lotsa love...

Barb Mallut