Hilary I can respond to some of your questions about a handicaped bathroom.
Three years ago I had one put in. I also was expanding my family room so I
went thru major  changes. What you have to be aware of a handicaped bathroom
has certain room  size specifications. I don't know if this is from osha or
local ordinaces. I have a handicaped shower. It has a fold down seat. The
water is controled by one faucet. It  is on a bar that slides up and down
and the shower head is on a hook. the room itself  has a floor of ceramic
tile. There is a new cement board that is out now that should be used for
the floor, instead of plywood. You should also have a floor  drain outside
the shower too. The showeris almost flush with the floor so water will get
out.  A good general contractor should do it . The price I don't know. IThe
shower price can be checked at Home Depot.. It will be about $1000. It most
probably will have to be ordered. My contractor had to subcontract the
plumming. If it  wasn't for the handicaped  he would have done it by
himself. Good Luck... I  am glad I put mine in. It was a big sacrifice and I
know that I will not get my money back when I sell the house. I don't
anticipate selling it for many years.

Bud Harrington