Dear Nancy,

> 2)  Is it
> common to feel a sensation of the "intestines blowing up,"

Yes; this can be due to a number of causes. As a dietitian, I look for
signs of gastroparesis, which can lead to bloating. Slowed peristalsis,
as you no doubt know, is very common in PD, due to the disease itself,
and to several of the medications used in treatment.

If gastroparesis is determined to be the cause, I recommend small,
frequent, meals and snacks, so there is less volume for the GI tract to
handle at one time.

> "nausea,"

Yes; most of the PD meds can cause nausea, especially at first. Many of
the meds can be taken with meals; Sinemet and Tasmar are the exceptions.
Some physicians recommend taking these with meals at first; then, as the
system adjusts, taking them 30 minutes prior to meals. If nausea
persists, try a couple of graham crackers with ginger ale or candied
ginger when taking the Sinemet. If intractable, the physician may
prescribe Lodosyn for nausea/vomiting.

My very best regards to you and your mother,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"