Hi listers...When I got in touch with Mary Sheehan about a literary matter, I
learned her family would welcome our prayers and any info on young adults who
have had strokes.  Barb B-K  (As Mary is currently not on list, you can email
her directly at [log in to unmask])

<<Mary Sheehan writes:

 I've been off the Parkinsn list for the last month or so.   The volume of
mail was just too much for me to handle during the pre-Christmas rush so I
took a leave of absence.  Then on the 21st of Dec. my 29 year old son had a
stroke.  We had just gotten home from Colorado, where we attended his
graduation from Colorado U.  We had been home less than an hour when the phone
rang with the news.  We rushed back to CO to find him unable to talk, read or
write.  He's made phenomenal progress and the hope is for a 95% or better
recovery.
-snip-
I don't mind your posting re Chris' stroke.  If you would, please ask if
anyone knows of other young people who had strokes.  Chris' neuro said that
they don't even have statistics on people that young, given its rarity.  BTW
Chris' stroke was caused by a blood clot in the carotid artery.

Chris had been a professional cyclist on national and international teams
since the age of 17 and had quit cycling three and a half years ago to finish
college.  His therapists and neuro feel that the discipline he learned as an
athlete and his lifestyle (nonsmoker, an occasional drinker of beer or wine,
ideal weight, normal blood pressure, good eating habits and lots of exercise)
is responsible for his rapid progress toward recovery.  The mystery is why
would a young person in such good shape develop a blood clot.

Lots of people have been praying for Chris and I'm sure that's helping too.
In fact I'm convinced that the prayers will not only help his recovery but
will make him super-holy as well. I'm not sure that Chris would consider being
super-holy as a particularly good thing. <grin>

On a happier note I was excited to have two paintings accepted for the
Parkinson's exhibit at the Very Special Art Gallery in Beverly Hills.  I've
never submitted work to a gallery before, so I plan to be at the opening and
am hoping to meet some of the southern Calif. Parkies there.  I understand
they're a real party crowd.

Sorry to ramble on.  I hope to be back on the list soon.
Mary    email:  [log in to unmask]