Hi,
yesterday I was on a Symposium in Bad Nauheim/Germany. There was speaking
Prof. Dr. Moussa B.H. Youdin from Haifa.

This is his opinion:

. Bad Nauheimer Parkinson-Symposlum

16. Januar 1999

Prof Dr Moussa B.H. Youdim
 .

Is Neuroprotection possible in Parkinson 's Disease?

 Moussa B.H. Youdim, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Faculty of
Medicine, Eve Topf
 and USA national Parkinson Foundation Centers of.Excellence for
Neurodegenerative
 Diseases Research, Haifa, Israel and Fogarty International Center for
Advanced Studies in
 Medical Sciences, NIH Bethesda, USA.

 In Parkinson 's Disease (PD) the pigmented melanin containing dopamine
neurons arising in the raphae nucleus and terminating in the striatum (nigro-
striatal) degenerate. Although the etiology of PD is not known, a significant
body of evidence that point to a selective on going process of excessive
oxygen radical species (superoxide, nitric oxide and reactive hydroxyl
radical) generation, resulting in oxidative stress (OS) in the substantia
nigra pars compacta
 (SNPC). The main feature of OS are increased inflammatory responses which
expresses itself by increases in TFN-alpha, IL-1, IL-6 and TGf-beta and
acitvated microglia and increases of iron, ferritin, monoamine oxidase B
Activity, ubiquitination, lipofuscin deposition and lipid peroxidation. There
are also decreases of recluced glutathion (GSH), calcium binding protein
 and mitochondrial electron transport enzymes which get rid of ORS. It is more
than interesting that in the animal models of PD, the neurotoxins MPTP and
6-hydroxydopamine produce their degeneration of nigro-striatal dopamine
neurons via a mechanism involving ORS induced OS with similar biochemical
changes that have been described in idiopathic parkinsonism. Thus animal
models are being used as means to develop drugs that would protect against an
on going progressive neurodegeneration. These models have indicated that ORS
scavengers and iron chelators may have a potential as neuroprotective drugs,
not only in
PD, but other neurodegenrative diseases such as Alzheimer 's disease where the
same mechanisms are being described. A number of studies have been done with
I-selegiline and  vitamin E but sofar their neuroprotective activity has been
inconclusive. We have evidence that suggests iron accumulation in PD brains
has a pivotal role in the process of neurodegeneration. For these reasons we
have been searching for non-toxic iron chelators for the treatment of PD
similar to the use of copper chelators for the treatnent of Wilson 's Disease.
Of the drugs examined, we have shown that apomorphine (a drug first
synthesized in Germany 135years ego) , the antiparkinson dopamine DI-D2
receptor agonist, is one of
 most potent iron chelators so far described. Apomorphine protects dopamine
neurons death as induced by neurotoxins (MPTP, 6-hydoxydopamine and iron) in
vitro, in vivo and in cell culture experiments. We know of no other presently
available anti PD drug which has the neuroprotective actions of apomorphine in
animal models of PD. Thus apomorphine may be the most ideal drug available for
clinical neuroprotection. Recent long term clinical studies in Europe with
apomorphine is showing remarkable action, namely that long term parkinsonian
 apomorphine users are stabilized and can be weaned of L-dopa. The question to
be investigated is whether in such patients apomorphine is showing
europrotection and slowing the progression of the disease. This is now been
investigated clinically by our group in collaboration with Prof. Poewe
(Austria) and Prf Leenders (Holland) using PET and SPECT.