Gisela Steinert gave the list information from attending a symposium in
Germany.  It was the opinion of Prof. Dr. Moussa B.H. Youdim from Haifa who
said
 in part:

----------

> Of the drugs examined, we have shown that apomorphine (a drug first
> synthesized in Germany 135years ego) , the antiparkinson dopamine DI-D2
> receptor agonist, is one of
>  most potent iron chelators so far described. Apomorphine protects
dopamine
> neurons death as induced by neurotoxins (MPTP, 6-hydoxydopamine and iron)
in
> vitro, in vivo and in cell culture experiments. We know of no other
presently
> available anti PD drug which has the neuroprotective actions of
apomorphine in
> animal models of PD. Thus apomorphine may be the most ideal drug
available for
> clinical neuroprotection. Recent long term clinical studies in Europe
with
> apomorphine is showing remarkable action, namely that long term
parkinsonian
>  apomorphine users are stabilized and can be weaned of L-dopa. The
question to
> be investigated is whether in such patients apomorphine is showing
> europrotection and slowing the progression of the disease. This is now
been
> investigated clinically by our group in collaboration with Prof. Poewe
> (Austria) and Prf Leenders (Holland) using PET and SPECT.

My questions to the list are:  Is apomorphine being used in the USA at
present as a drug for Parkinson's?  By what name(s) is it called?  Have any
list members used this drug successfully?

Jeanette Fuhr 48/47/44?