Re: What type of Parkinson's?

Dear Listmembers,

The following loose bits of evidence are used to ask some questions:

I was diagnosed with PD in '91 upon sudden appearance of tremor in my right
hand.
Before that time I had a number of cases of backpain, after lifting loads.
Later, I often experienced restless leg syndrome ( RLS ) in "off" condition.

My medicines have been Sinemet CR ( 50/200 ) and Eldepryl.
I am now 78 years old and progression of PD seems very slow.

My sister, who lives in the Netherlands, and is now 76, has had RLS since
long before I was diagnosed with PD. She has had a number of falls for which
she always seems to find a cause.
Based on what I read in the List I recommended Sinemet to her for treatment
Her doctor went along with this even though he seems to think that what she
has is all in her mind. It has helped her tremendously. I do not think she
has seen a neurologist.
As things are over there she would need a referral.

Finally I remember many years ago that my mother's brother would show off a
shaking right hand, making fun of it and blaming the many cups of coffee he
drank daily, for it.
I don't think he ever went to any doctor with this. This was in the fifties
and he died shortly after that of a heart attack.

I have heard the usual form of PD called ideopatic PD. Also that there is
something like familial PD. What is the definition of these and is there
reason to assume that if these three cases can be considered related that
our form of PD could be classified as either belonging to one or the other
kind?
Are these three cases enough evidence to conclude that there is some
influence of heredity involved?

I would appreciate the reaction of anyone who has an opinion on this.

Thank you in advance,

Will

Will A. Kuipers<[log in to unmask]>