Carol....

I had a unilateral (one-side only) pallidotomy  for my right side in
Oct., 1994.   Prior to the surgery I'd been stiff as the proverbial
board, was having some freezing, and where it used to take me a
leisurely 1 1/2  hours to shower, blow-dry my hair, and get dressed
to go out, by the time I made up my mind to have the pallidotomy,
even cutting corners in preparing to go out was taking me at LEAST 4
1/2 hours. I literally forced myself to get out socially at least
once a week - but it wasn't easy.

Since the surgery, I've had complete return of movement on my right
side, which has remained absolutely the same since the surgery - it
hasn't got worse again, and it CAN'T get any better (it's that
good!).

That said, the surgery didn't stop the PD from eventually starting on
my left side, and internally as well.  However, progression is rather
slow, and like so many other Parkies, I've come to recognize the
devil when I see 'em and I've become pretty darn wily in pitting
myself against 'em.

I think today, no matter HOW rotten I may feel (and I don't always
feel THAT bad), all I hafta do is look back at myself BEFORE I had
the pallidotomy, and NOTHING PD-related since then has EVER been as
bad.

When it comes to whether one has a Pallidotomy or brain-stim, this is
something I've thought a lot about in regards to myself.  One MUST
trust  the advice of their neurosurgeon, yet think, for themselves.
Also, it's important to learn as much as possible about BOTH types of
surgery.  Talking with folks who've had either one or the other
surgery is invaluable  'cause THEY are living the actual experience.

THEN it's up to you and your surgeon.... !

Best of luck to you, m'dear, and I hope to see ya posting here SOON
saying "WOWIE!  I had a ________ (enter type of surgery) and feel
GREAT!"

Barb Mallut