Gil Lieberman wrote:

> Dear Janet,
> Thanks very much for the information on Apomorphine treatment of PWPs.
> At our last meeting with Aliza's neurologist,Dr. Nir Giladi,head of the
> Movement Disorders Section of the Tel Aviv Medical Center,he mentioned
> the possibility of trying Apomorphine introduction by sniffing through the
> nose with Aliza.Aliza's skin is so thin,injection through her skin would not
> be practical.We did not ascertain where this research is being done.There was
> no mention of this technique in the writeup you posted.Do you have any
> information on this technique?
> Gil Lieberman,CG for Aliza,75,2/95

The following review (from Current Science Reviews for July 1995,
which should be in the list archives) fails to mention that the
self-injection pen uses a tiny jet of very high pressure to force
the drug through the skin without the damaging effect of a needle.
The principal objection to this mode may be the cost, since with
its short half-life, apomorphine alone must be taken frequently.
The objection to oral administration has been its emetic property,
and nasal spray has proven too irritating in some patients. A side
effect in some male patients was pathological increase of libido,
which required restraint measures in some cases. Altogether,
apomorphine seems most useful either as a diagnostic tool or as a
"rescue" from occasional unpredictable "off" episodes in PD.

Ostergaard, L. et al: Jour Neur Neurosurg Psy 1995;58:681-687
Injections of apomorphine (normally an emetic for juvenile
poisoning) by single-use pen, which patients can do themselves, in
14 PD patients (plus 8 placebo controls) reduced the duration and
severity of "off" periods and improved the general feeling of
well-being.

Cheers,
Joe
--