Delores-

This is great news.  I am grateful to you, Richard  and all of the other people who worked hard to
get to this point. Arlen Spector is a good man.  I don't think it will nearly be as easy as he
predicts.  The right to life lobby will probably try to tie it up.  I have followed Spector's career
since when I lived in Philadelphia and he was District Attorney.  Of course then Rizzo became mayor
etc. etc.

His support as a Republican committee chair significantly increases the chance for passage.  We need
to stay alert and be ready to write more letters if this gets bogged down.

Again Delores- Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Charlie

MR SEYMOUR GROSS wrote:

> ... He said he decided after last month's
> hearing - and that my article, and Richard, helped convince him he
> was right!!!"
>
> Following are excerpts of Senator Specter's remarks at the hearing,
> "It is my hope that we might move to legislation to lift the ban at a
> very early stage because of the urgency involved here with the
> potential for stem cell research to deal with so many serious
> diseases.  I think every day that we lose on lifting the NIH ban
> costs lives.  Perhaps every hour that we lose on lifting the NIH ban
> costs lives."  To Richard, he added "When you talk about your
> personal situation, that is precisely the sense of urgency which I
> think ought to move the Congress to get this done."
>
> The Senator added, "This is a late-breaking development.  It ought to
> have broad, if not unanimous, support."
>
> In a post-hearing interview the Senator said, "I'm going to put it
> (the legislation) in on the 19th.  That's the first day we can put it
> in."
>
> As Rachel Simon said, "Maybe this will usher in a round of good luck
> for both Richard and the PD community.  I hope so!"

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin