Putting the Parkinsn List online was not meant to replace but to enhance
its value and visibility to the world. Barbara and I have thought for years
about solutions that could increase our readership..long before Parkinson's
became fashionable.

Those of you who are battling with Parkinsn 'Information Overload' can set
your
subscription to nomail and view the list at your leasure while still
enjoying the benefits
of subscription.

The Parkinsn List Online as been added as a link on the Parkinsn's Archive
Treasure
page at:

http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/archive/patp.html

> >Dear John, and the list (and soon the whole world)
> > I am just a little concerned. About going public. Yes me, The same me>
>that
> >asked Parbara patterson why the responses to her survey about> >publishing
> >everything to the whole list wasn't published to the whole list?> >Because
> >there is a difference, you see.

The creation of Parkinsn Online is for listmembers who would like to
participate but
can't because of the volume of mail and for others who would like the
convenience of keeping
informed on list threads while traveling or going from office to home. If
your concern is for
privacy, use the reply button on your email program and email the poster
directly. If
having Parkinsons is embarassing, do like the majority just read the list
and not post.

Only the current 200 messages will be viewable...after that one will need
to search Simon's
archives. The link is at the bottom of the message screen.

>I agree that making the PD list available as an open list on the net is not a
>good idea.

That is a misconception...the Parkinsn list is a set up to accept only
posts from
subscribers. Even if non-subscriber clicked on the
mailto: link and tried to send a message to the list..it would be rejected.
Having the
current 200 messages online does nothing to make the Parkinsn list an open
list. The links
are there because that is how the software is written...but not how it works.

>I have had the feeling that we were all gathered
>around a great big round table, sharing feelings, experiences and
>knowledge - now I am beginning to have the feeling that we are surrounded by
>a huge audience peeking at us. We should have been polled about this

The table just got bigger and we widened the door. Barbara and I polled one
another before
any of this was conceived each of us have the mechanism at hand to pull the
plug.

We are riding in the 'boat' Parkinsn and it is owned by Barbara Patterson.
She is under
no obligation to poll anyone when the durability and usability of the list
are concerned.
The only vote subscribers have is the revolving door. Passengers shouldn't
interfere with
rowing the boat...just enjoy the ride.

>It is true that someone who really wants to read this list's messages
>can access them through the Archives, but putting the list online as  has
>just been done, makes it easily and completely accessible to all Internet
>users worldwide. Now anyone doing a search using Alta Vista or other
>search engines will have keyword access to our postings - if your name is
>included in the text of your message, someone could search for it also.

Search engines do not read "file cabinets" but rely on keywords determined
by the
web designer. Parkinsn Online is a "file cabinet" with no ones name or
address mentioned.
The focus is Parkinsn...period. Folks like you and me...can find it if they
search and
will get to see a sample of what the Parkinsn list is about...useless
gossip or fact or
caring. If they like us...they will subscribe and join us...

>If you leave a personal letter open at your desk at work, an
>individual who is looking through your desk can find it and read it. This
>is very different from your boss opening all your mail and reading every
>word, and then passing it around to the rest of the office.

You email is scanned everywhere...from the government on down. Do not put
into email
anything you would not want anyone else to know. The internet is not
private..email is
not secure unless you encrypt it and the person you send it to has the key
to unlock it.

Parkinsn Online will not attract thousands or even hundreds..perhaps 50 a
day but out of
those 50 we will subscribe one or two pwps or caregivers...replacing those
who have left
unfilled because of our indifference.

> What bothers me more than privacy is that every stupid or hasty
> thing I wish I never wrote will be that much more available.

I do that also...like the long lines in the announcement...:))) But we are
just human.

>I wouldbemoan with great regret the loss of intimate and casual, yet
extremely
>informative sharing that I feel inevitably comes with our List beingon-line.

The level and quality of the list relationships will be determined by the
writers...the
ideas and their discussion will just be more accessible. Nothing really has
changed only two
mechanical things. Putting the persons name who sent the message in the
reply line from the
listserv and porting the current messages to the web.

Embarrassment and denial are common and can't be over come with facts...it
takes time
to find your peace. If you have to get out of the 'boat' for a
while...that's ok we'll have
someone to greet you with open arms.

In the meantime try the Thread button and click on any message title to
read the messages.

Links at the bottom of the page are informative and have changed even if
you were there last
month.

'Friends, Come With Me'

John Cottingham

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Search the Parkinsn Archive Treasures on line at:
               http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/archive/patp.html
             *NEW*Click the page ads and use the new search tools*NEW*
John Cottingham