Dear Barb,

I'm guessing that the phrase "striatum nerve disease", because we
don't find it anywhere, is not the medical name of a disease but
rather that particular physician's translation of the real disease
name, whatever it is, into what he thinks are lay-person terms.  This
of course is no comfort, because it doesn't tell us anything -- what
it is, how serious it is or how it can be treated.

There is perhaps some hope to be derived from the experience of
patients who have had some success in dealing with neurodegenerative
diseases more serious than PD.  May I suggest the web pages of Steven
Shackel, an ALS patient, at http://www.goulburn.net.au/~shack. His
story appears to be genuine, and he is not selling anything.

My best wishes for you and your friend in this difficult time,

Phil Tompkins