Many Thanks to all the responses!!

The letter really struck a cord with mom. With her recent stay in the
hospital as
her parkinson's symptoms were getting worse. While there the Doctors played
with her meds making her either totally rigid to totally confused and
hallucinating. Our family Doctor wouldn't listen to me when I told her my
mother was getting worse daily and I was afraid she was going to die! Our
Doctor said she wasn't and since she said my mother always recognised her
the Doctor was not too terribly concerned!! After two weeks in the hospital
with mom getting more confused and more rigid unable to move or even feed
herself and now forced to wear a diaper, our Doctor finally phoned me to
ask me about mom's Living Will and did I think a feeding tube would go
against my mother's wishes and would I be able to get to the hospital at
night if my mother died!!!

If it weren't for this wonderful Listserv my mother would probably be
dead!! This situation forced me to get more involved and to learn something
( most important: Doctor's are not always right nor are they always well
informed!! ) My mother is home now and is doing ok. She is trying Mirapex
which so far doesn't seem to be working. Mom is seriously thing of having a
Palidotomy and has just started to make the necessary phone calls. Mom is
having problems with dyskensia and either freezing or rigidity in her right
leg which worsens as the day passes making it difficult for her to walk.
She is in contact with Dr. Calne at the Motion Disorder Clinic at UBC. They
feel mom would be a good candidate for a palidotomy ( mom is 67 ).

Is there anyone on this List who has had a palidotomy here in Vancouver,
British Columbia? We'd like to hear about it. Who did it, when, how are the
results, etc....We seem to hear of all the American ones are there no
successful Canadian ones?

Thanks again!!!

Take care

Bye for now