> A dietary supplement sold in health food stores is the subject of a $2
> million federal grant to a UCSD researcher who thinks high doses of a
> purified form of the substance might keep patients in the early stages
> of
> Parkinson's disease from getting a lot worse.

Danger always lurks when proper scientific evaluation is absent.
Dietary supplements are not subject to FDA evaluation and approval
unless it claims some curative or even palliative powers.  Thus, most
dietary supplements escape this validation process, and I for one will
not even entertain the use of any such products.

Michel Margosis