Further on the subject of privacy  -- The PARKINSN listserv all by
itself, without web access, is NOT secure for personal and sensitive
information.  I am unaware of any screening of subscribers who join
the list -- any eavesdropper, detective, blackmailer, serial killer,
ambulance chasing lawyer, IRS representative, salesperson, hooker,
etc. may join.  We do not know who all the 1600+ subscribers are and
what they might do with what we post here.

So -- does anyone know of any real incidents of malicious use of
PARKINSN info?  The absence of any such incidents increases our
confidence, although the possibility is always there.  You have to
weigh the risks vs. the benefits in deciding what to reveal. I do not
know whether web access will really change anything in this respect.
There is already so much personal info from personal internet web
pages that there may be safety in just being among the growing glut
of data.

However, Linda is correct in that we should have been told of this
in advance and given a choice.  Ideally there ought to be a way to
specify in a message to PARKINSN whether it should also go to the web
and/or to the archives.  There is a way to remove messages from the
archives, but it is a pain if you want to do this often.

Thanks, Ivan, for raising the question.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990