Hilary-- so far as I can recall there was no discussion on the list before
John made the changes. If I missed it,  I would be surprised, as I read my
email many times a day.  Perhaps John cleared it with Barb P.---??

I don't know if it is pertinent, and it is not for reasons of privacy, but
when folks ask about CARE we tell them if is best if they join the main
list first.  CARE is set up with the Miami U. listserv as a "closed" list,
so that the archives are open only to members.  We felt this was important
because of the nature of the sharing that CARE encourages.

I suspect there are many who feel as you do, Hilary---and I see that a
probable result will be more posts offlist to individuals and fewer of a
personal nature to the list .  The result could be that more people learn
of the existence of the list, but  experience it very differenty from the
way it now functions, as a "cyberfamily"  . In our personal stories on the
PD webring, we  *choose* what we wish to make publc to any and all persons.
That's a bit different, I think . ...and perhaps something like that will
result on the list now ---more careful "filtering" of the reality we share
with each other.

John has solved one problem with a lot of work and the best of
intentions--but evidently the solution is also a problem for some "family
members".  Making information accessible is a wonderful goal, but to
balance it with privacy is hard.  What do others think?

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "