Linda Herman wrote in part:
>>This is a MAJOR change in the nature and purpose of the Parkinson's list
- moreso than changing how replies are addressed. Why wasn't there any
discussion of this first, and why weren't other list members' opinions
requested? I fear this will drastically reduce the numbers of people
who
will feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas. True, as Phil
said we can use aliases, but I have made a number of good friends from
this list - I'd like to be able to tell them my real name. Can we open
this decision to further discussion and reconsideration?

it may be perceived as major change in nature of list. i will argue
that few will find much difference in the extent of access if they
really want to look.
as to purpose, that is not changed. the accessibility of the archives
may have slightly changed, but searches bring up the archives.
those who wish to lurk before joining have another option, but unless
it is advertised they may not be finding it - i do not know whether
John has "told the world about it", but i doubt it.

we can express our inputs as we choose. the decision of what goes onto
the web or cyberspace in toto is not easily monitorable nor
controlled. what stays there is subject to some controls.

i did not save the original message - did John discuss his decision
with Barbara Patterson?
i am using my back-up computer because of modem trouble. it is slow
and hard to read.
all for now, not very bothered by the online. if we want to be seen,
this might be an improvement, ron