A another thought if I may on this topic on this yet another
sleepless in Hoboken from PD or from whatever night.

John wrote;

> [Barbara Paterson] is under no obligation to poll anyone when the
> durability and usability of the list are concerned. The only vote
> subscribers have is the revolving door.

I may be inaccurate, but so far I count about 8 opinions in favor of
the change, and 13 against.  These come mostly from active list
members.  If that is any indication of the effect of the change on
future list activity, then the activity will significantly diminish.
Presumably this is not the intended result.  Time will tell, of
course, and perhaps it would be a good idea to see what the real
effect turns out to be. Will the active participants be fewer in
number?  Voting, either by polling or by the revolving door, may in
fact matter.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990