Dale Severance wrote:
> I have been rivited to the impeachment trial. Originally as a staunch
> Republican I felt impeachment was necessary to preserve on system of laws at
> least as it related to the pergery charge. However as the case has unfolded
> and I have seen how far the house managers have stretched the evidence and
> leaped to wild conclusions i have begun  to waiver. Finally when Dale Bumbers
> ( Senator) spoke the historical  background of the charges and how they
> developed from the English  LawI  have reversed my position and think it would
> be a never ending tragedy for the country. From a personal point The President
> has been a supporter in the main for Health research  and a replacement might
> not be so favorable disposed

Normally, I'd agree that political debate is inappropriate on this
forum, but since you brought up Health Policy:

Policy doesn't matter! Character does matter! Policy decisions by
elected officials only reflect their judgement on how to get themselves,
or their supporters, re-elected. In policy, it's "whatever works".
Character, on the other hand, isn't an impeachable offense. The current
furor in Washington is only a sham, like a Punch and Judy show. The
real reason for the impeachment trial is that some people can't stand to
see our great nation led by a person of such dishonorable character.
They think the President is unconscionably arrogant, ambitious, and
selfish enough to indulge his sleazy appetites with an infatuated young
woman regardless of effects on friends and family. Those people
(I'm not taking sides) know they can't expel him for that, so they have
resorted to the trumped-up impeachment trial. In fact, successful
impeachment would be a grievous setback for Republicans, because it
would virtually ensure the re-election of President Al Gore in 2000.
I don't believe it will succeed, but the damage to the President's
historical legacy will survive. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694