    Is there anyone who can tell me what is "striatum nerve disease"? I have
been searching the medical dictionaries for  hours and the best I can
discover is:  "Striatum - part of the basal ganglia, it is a large cluster
of nerve cells, consisting of the caudate nucleus and the putamen, that
controls movement, balance, and walking; the neurons of the striatum require
dopamine to function."
    About a year ago I responded to a message posted on a message board by a
woman who had had a sad experience  in a shopping mall.  The internet
created what soon  became a life line between us.  We shared our laughter,
tears, confusions, questions and fears with each other.  We wrote stories
together, starring us as children with great humour and always a hint of
magic. We each felt we had found a friend, almost a sister really, with whom
we could proceed down this rocky uncertain road.  We have made arrangements
for her to fly from her home in California to visit me here in Canada.  The
anticipation of actually greeting her at the air port sometimes fills my
thoughts and my heart with balloons of joy.
    A few months ago I began to become concerned about how her symptoms were
progressing.  The usual  Parkinson's medications seemed to be having no
effect, and she was developing a lot of pain.  My neurologist carefully
explained to me the different types of Parkinson's, but my friend did not
seem to fit the description of any of them.  My neurologist  also explained
how there are a myriad of illness which at first present as Parkinson's then
behave in their own agonizing way as they develop.  After 2 MRI's and other
tests, it seems that the doctor has determined that she has something called
"striatum nerve disease".  I am buried under layers of grief and fear.  I
have consulted every dictionary on the web.  I have left messages with
medical email addresses.  Nothing.  This must be a layman's term for
something, perhaps one of those heinous diseases for which  there is no
treatment.  The doctor did not go into any details at this time.  And so my
dear sister and  I are swimming in an ocean of apprehension.
    If anyone has any information on this disease I  beg you to share it
with  me.  I have already decided to let her doctor tell her the particulars
as he deems appropriate.  But for me, for my own knowledge, please I need to
know anything, anything at all which the list members might want to share
with me.  I would be grateful for even a URL where I could discover the
information for myself.
Thank you, my love to all of you.  In spite of ocassional disagreements of
opinion, the members of this company have always rallied around a member in
need.  I am that person now.  I need to know.  Barb Rager