Dear Nancy,

> anyway i am writing to ask you if you could ask the list if anyone
> suffers from dry mouth and throat and what they do about it.  because my
> upper lip curls my top gums get dry too.

Many of the PD medications can lead to dry mouth, dry eyes, and/or
unusual thirst. It is of great concern to dietitians, because it can
lead to poor oral health, tooth loss, and subsequent malnutrition. I've
had any number of clients who have had teeth pulled due to dental caries
caused by dry mouth. Mouth infections and gum diseases are also
possible. So I am always concerned when people report dry mouth. Good
for you for seeking help in this important area.

> i tried oral jells, ice, sips
> of water, gum (which i have trouble chewing cause mouth muscles are poor
> and it is hard to keep from swallowing it)
> i seem to breathe through my mouth.

You've done a good job of trying to combat dry mouth, and I hope you'll
continue sipping water, especially, as dehydration is also very common
to people with PD. In addition, I recommend you see your dentist,
explain that you have PD, and are concerned about this dry mouth. S/he
should be able to recommend some things that could help. Also, s/he may
recommend a fluoride treatment, or frequent teeth cleaning. This can
help prevent tooth loss.

Breathing through the mouth will certainly increase the dry mouth, but
you are not alone in this problem, and it certainly can be difficult to
"retrain yourself" to breathe through your nose. However, I would
recommend you try to remind yourself frequently; it is possible to
change this habit.

> (with all the drooling it amazes me that my mouth gets so dry)

Excess saliva results from infrequent swallowing. Again, "retraining"
your mind to remember to swallow frequently, and to breathe through your
nose, would be helpful. If swallowing is, or becomes, difficult, your
physician should recommend a speech/language pathologist, who can help.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD