Ivan,

You say that the City Treasurer's office say that they'd sent you a
foreclosure warning and you say you never received it. I would think that
they would, by law, have to have "officially served it" to you by sending it
to you by certified or registered mail, return-receipt-requested -- meaning
that you would have had to sign a postal receipt before the letter would be
given to you. I suggest that you investigate whether or not that process is
indeed a legal requirement in your state. If it is, and there is no such
receipt, then this may be a strong legal defense for you.

Maybe it would also help to see if there is a local office of the American
Bar Association, or a volunteer lawyers group, and give them a call and ask
if they can assist or point you to a lawyer who can assist.

Good luck.
-- SJS
    1/21/99