hi gerrit

At 10:12 1999/01/26 +0200, you wrote, in part:
>...Man tends to strive for success to such an extent
>that enjoying life takes a second seat.
>I always find it strange when a well known person dies, and
>is referred to as having been very successful, with a lot of
>money in the bank.  The fact that he went through four divorces
>& five marriages in the process does not make him less successful
>in the eyes of the world...

i wonder whose 'eyes'?   not mine

>His brother, who had been married for 40 years to the same wife,
>who had put his kids through university, paid his bond off early,
>but worked in a back office all his life and is now retired,
>living on his pension accruals, is not recognised by anybody as
>being particularly successful...

and again, i wonder who is the non-recogniser?  not me

>Chances are though that the latter has lived a happy life.
>Was he not then perhaps more successful than his business-man brother?

we all gotta do what we gotta do
regardless of how we or our actions are perceived by others
but it's easy to fall into the trap
of valuing others' opinions more than our own

we all have that small voice inside of each of us
which yearns to be heard but is so frequently shush'ed

>At the risk of sounding very religious I must say that I have
>wondered if this was not a reason for me to get Parkinsons,
>and if not, if I should not see the advantages (glass half
>full again) for me as a living soul to have been brought
>back - through Parkinsons -  to enjoying life to the fullest
>again...

my oh my!
this could be an echo of what i've been spouting!

i consider pd a gift for me to learn from
as, indeed, everything is given to us
in my humble opinion

>My wife and I celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary on 22nd January
>and I cannot say that I have ever been happier.  Relationships with
>people around me, and life in general, has become very important.
>I listen better, talk less (still types a lot, as you can see).
>Financially life is a strain, but that is now less important.

i am so pleased for you!
i agree with you wholeheartedly in all of this
and am impressed with you for sharing it with us so openly

>I love talking to - change this to read communicating with -
>my children and their friends.  I enjoy my music and my
>photography - although the latter has become rather frustrating -
>and there is a lot to laugh about ( I was chatting to a fellow
>PWP recently and when we parted we decided that we will just hold
>hands, the shaking thereof will see to itself)

delightful!
i always think that the stronger/clearer i get
the goofier i get
same thing?

>I feel fortunate to be able to use technology to be a member
>of you lot - what did the P'sWP do earlier without this enrichment?

i don't know
and can only count my blessings for this

>I am therefore enslaved to strive for more happiness.  My success
>will be measured by this and by my family, and this makes me happy.

i love this - 'enslaved to strive for more happiness'
it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it!

howzat?

your cyber-sibling in striving

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm