At 00:38 24-1-99 -0500, Bruce Anderson wrote:
>1. Has anyone had a bad reaction to Requip?  I started on it, slowly, a
>month ago. I went t the full I mg dose three times a day from 3/4 mg 5 days
>ago.  The day before yesterday my voice, which has been one of my biggest
>problems for a couple of years, suddenly got much worse  - to the point
>where I am suddenly virtually unintelligible.  Besides the dramatic change
>in my voice, I just feel out of sorts, kind of a sick feeling, although not
>at all dramatic.

Bruce,

I know that it is not much, but the only help I can give you is by telling
that my experiences with speaking disturbances  i.m.h.o. indicate that it
might be possible that your problems are in part caused by Requip. I myself
have, since my pallidotomy, problems with speaking espescially with
articulating but with volume also. It has been serious, to the point of
being not able to make myself understood during a rather short period after
the surgery. Since than it has ameliorated. But my ability to articulate
now is inversely related to the level of sinemet. Especially in the evening
, after a day of building up this level, my ability to produce
understandable spoken language is as low as it was in the worst period,
about zero.
In the morning however, the benefit of sleep gives me back my ability to
use my voice as if I am healthy and it sounds so, I am told.
If I don't overlook any important other factor, this might prove that it is
possible for speech disturbances to be caused by a combination of some
brain damage and drugs that influence dopamine levels.
Some weeks ago I got a message from the "pallidotomy team" from Amsterdam,
saying they wish to make an MRI scan of my brain too. It is scheduled 13
march. And I'll ask what that scan can possibly tell them.

                                 Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]