Gerry...You raise a good question when you ask what is in this drug to cause a
patient to have increased rigidity/freezing when withdrawing the drug.  I
don't have the answer.   Does anyone else?

In order to try and better think about this, Gerry and all, I have engaged in
a review exercise...
What I know about Tasmar/Tolcopone is it is one of the newer treatments
designed to increase the amount of levodopa (found in Sinemet) to enter the
brain where it is converted into dopamine.  If levodopa is taken by itself
only 1% reaches the brain, as there are a whole array of natural enzymes in
the body that treat levodopa as a "foreign invader" and rush to devour and
expel it.  So levodopa has some "guards" whose job it is to overcome these
enzymes.  What are these enzymes, and whose job is it to destroy*.

ENZYME
1)  Dopa decarboxylase - carbidopa allows 5-10 % of the levodopa to reach the
brain.
2)  MAO-B  - Inhibitors - still more levodopa reaches the brain
3)   Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) - Entacapone and Tolcapone.
Tolcopone is said to prolong the effectiveness of a single dose of levodopa by
70%

**Entacapone acts mainly peripherally whereas tolcapone
acts both peripherally and centrally. They induce a dose-dependent inhibition
of COMT activity in erythrocytes and a significant decrease in the plasma
levels of 3-O-methyldopa, indicating their effectiveness as COMT inhibitors.
Consequently, they increase the elimination half-life of levodopa and thus
prolong the availability of levodopa to the brain without significantly
affecting the Cmax or tmax of levodopa.

 Clinically, the improved levodopa
availability is seen as prolonged motor response to levodopa/DDC inhibitor and
also as prolonged duration of dyskinesias in Parkinson's disease patients with
end-of-dose fluctuations. The dyskinesias are managed by decreasing the daily
levodopa dose in Parkinson's disease patients with end-of-dose fluctuations.

Both pharmacokinetically and clinically the 200-mg dose of entacapone is the
most effective dose compared with placebo. For tolcapone 100 and 200 mg have
most often proved to be the optimal doses. Based on the duration of COMT
inhibition entacapone is administered with each levodopa/DDC inhibitor dose
whereas tolcapone is given three times daily. Both entacapone and tolcapone
are
well-tolerated. However, there seems to be a trend for tolcapone to induce
more
often diarrhoea and increase in liver transaminases compared with entacapone.
Thus, COMT inhibitors are clinically significant and beneficial adjunct to
levodopa therapy in Parkinson's disease patients with end-of-dose
fluctuations.
Their effects and significance also in the treatment of de novo patients need
to be clarified.

*Info derived from an article in local Parkinson Update, Spring 1998
**[Medline]J Neurol 1998 Nov;245(11 Suppl 3):P25-34 Department of Neurology,
University of Turku, Finland.  Abstract.  PMID: 9808337, UI: 99023523

BTW, I am  now going back on Tasmar, and am currently taking one in the
evening.  My experience this past month is the same as you observed in Brig--I
slipped at least a notch or two below where I had been last March when I first
started Tasmar...very unsettling.

Best regards,

Barbara Blake-Krebs in KS  58, 1984

<<Barb,
Brig went on Tasmar as well, is just about off of it, but it has been sheer
hell.  Can anyone tell me why this drug seems to affect a lot of people this
way when they try to taper off of it.  What is in it to have brought this
affect on so many patients?  Brig had no freezing before, but now it's here.
And I must admit, only because of a friend's advice, did he taper off as
slowly as he did, we're talking a month of reducing dosage.
I may be crazy, but it seems like tapering off of tasmar took him down a level
or so.
Gerry>>