hi ivan

At 08:20 1999/01/26 -0500, you wrote, in part:
>...Thank you for the petition signatures.  Imagine, 43 signatures
>from our cyber-family in 22 hours (7:00 AM  to 5:00 AM)...
>It says something about the power of our numbers, when we are stirred
>to act. I no longer feel uneasy and intimidated from sharing a few of
>the things that are most distressing about the proposed agreement...
>The City of Portland's proposed language attempts to
>...force me to provide written explanations of my medical expenses from
>my doctors, nurses, or  physician's assistants at the will of the CIty...
>... to transfer wnership of my house to the City if I elect to reside
>temporarily at a medical treatment center, even if I still owned my
>property upon seeking treatment...
>... confines me to welfare law and excludes the Americans With
>Disabilities Act, with all of its ramifications and protections...

i have just learned, after nine months, that my application to the
Ontario provincial government for a disability pension
has passed the first and major hurdle

i.e. i have been officially adjudicated as 'disabled'
per the Ontario Disability Support Program regulations

in my case, my qualifications are not subject to any further review
since my condition is not expected to improve

all of which can seem like depressing phraseology
but in terms of qualifying for assistance
it is a dream come true for me

the ODSP [as re-vamped] has been in place for less than a year
it was changed dramatically, specifically in order to
separate it from welfare regulations and traps

no welfare commissars can now affect or threaten
my qualification and my entitlements
in any way

the entitlements are limited, naturally,
but are quite different and a lot more forgiving and understanding
[particularly in re assets allowed and exempted from review]
than those written in welfare law
[as they should be]

our governments and our laws are only as good as we make them

having been a non-ontario-resident for 16 years
i can't take credit for participating in the changes here
but i feel blessed in being able to participate in the results

all medical care is free
all prescriptions cost me $2.00 each
additional disability related expenses are covered
education and job-re-training is freely available
a basic living and housing allowance is provided

all of which makes me feel
welcomed and valued in my [physical] community

shouldn't we all be able to feel this way?

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm