Why Email Sucks (And How to Fix It)
Berst Alert
Jesse Berst, Editorial Director<BR><I>ZDNet AnchorDesk</I>
Thursday, January 28, 1999

At the risk of squelching all your romantic ideas about
email, the wildly successful flick You've Got Mail could
never happen. Not because of the implausibility of two
people falling in love over email. Because their email
clients could never handle cupid duty.

A 20-year-old mainframe's email system ran smoother than
what we've got today. That's because the engineering mentality
of most software makers is hurting consumers. Alan Cooper,
CEO of Cooper Interaction Design in Palo Alto, has a company
manifesto that says it best: "It's a fact: Most software
needs to be spanked."

And nowhere is that more apparent than with email. Here's
what's wrong with the big five email clients:

Lotus Notes: Rather than detail all of Notes warts and
running sores, let me say that Ziff has been a Notes shop
for years. During all that time, out of the hundreds of
people who use it, I've only heard three people tell me
they dislike it. The rest hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate
it. Click for more.

Microsoft Outlook: It's slow. It's bulky. Its filters
fail. Its contact manager is clunky. It doesn't follow
common Windows logic. I could go on (and on), but read
my Stinko Products article instead. Click for more.

Qualcomm Eudora Pro: Jon DeKeles says Eudora is perfect.
Not that I don't trust Jon's judgment, but some people
don't agree. PC Magazine panned its search features. Click
for more. Others have beefs with its toolbars and help
system.

America Online: Attachments. Period. Address book needs
work too.

Netscape Messenger: Checking multiple accounts is a nightmare.
Ditto for the filtering system.

Come on. Email is the top application and activity on
the Web, and nobody is doing it right. At best, they're
at 75%. Here's what needs fixing:

Better integration with contact managers and calendars
Better way to track history of mail threads
Better information management features
Better filtering (how about setting up some templates
for us)
Complete, transparent Web-based readers for those on the
go
Complete integration between programs
Create attachment standards
Flexible viewing options and the ability to work within
those options
One single, simple address book

We've only scratched the surface here. Luckily TalkBack
doesn't require an email client, so use it to tell us
your email beefs. I'll post the best responses beneath
this article. Or go to my Berst Alerts forum, where a
discussion is underway.  And be sure to take today's QuickPoll.

(Elsewhere in this issue, you'll find Jon's collection
of alternative email apps (click for more) and Annette
Hamilton's special report on mastering customer service
email. Click for more.)

Which feature is most important to you in an email client?

 Better integration with
contact managers and calendars
 Better way to track
history of mail threads
 Better information
management features
 Better filtering
 Complete, transparent
Web-based readers for those on the go
 Complete integration
between programs
 Attachment standards
 Flexible viewing
options
 One single, simple
address book
 Other

READ MORE:
 Email: The Client Side - PC Magazine
  http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/e-mail/client.html

EVALUATE:
 MailUser: The Ultimate Email Resource - ZDNet Products Channel
 http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/products/mailuser.html

SHOP:
 Buying Groupware, Email, Workflow Software - NetBuyer
 http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/netbuyer.zdnet.com/texis/netbuyer/doframe.html?u=/texis/netbuyer/awardwin.html?catid=C0000080

COMPANIES:
 America Online, Inc.
  http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/company/company_2296.html