The Autumn 1998 issue of the NPF "Parkinson Report", which just
arrived here, contains a number of articles summarizing recent
promising research. There is also an article about drug development
that outlines the long process - about 10 years - usually required
to get from the initial research to the time a drug is available.

Among the research articles is one about Coenzyme Q10, which is
both an antioxident and a component of cell energy generation.  My
neurologist already recommends taking it, along with a few other
antioxidents.  Oxidation is now recognized as part of the disease
process in PD and other neurodegenerative diseases, and numerous
antioxidents are readily available as dietary supplements. Some
of them are thought to retard the process of neurodegenration.

About two weeks ago I ran across the web page of an ALS patient,
Steven Shackel, who appears to have had some success in dealing with
his condition using an antioxident in combinaion with dietary
changes. He appears to be genuine, not a snake-oil salesman, he has
done a lot of research, and, to the degree that neurodegeneration is
similar in ALS and PD, he has much info to offer that is useful to
us. See http://www.goulburn.net.au/~shack.  He begins with this
optimistic question:  If doctors know so little about ALS, how can
they be so certain of their grim prognoses?

I didn't seem to stimulate much interest when I posted something
about Shackel's webs site then, so I am trying again.  It's really
worth looking into.

It seems to me a reasonable gamble to use antioxidents now, and not
wait for the results of the scientific investigation.  If it turns
out that I have been taking something that 10 years from now proves
to be beneficial, I'll be that much ahead, and maybe I will have kept
dementia at bay for a while longer.  That doesn't sound too crazy,
does it?

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990