 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses       14 deg. F   :-)
Dear friends,

Thank you for the petition signatures.  Imagine, 43 signatures from our
cyber-family in 22 hours (7:00 AM  to 5:00 AM). By the way, could they be
re-ordered back to the order in which they are sent, like a petition on a
clipboard?

It says something about the power of our numbers, when we are stirred to
act.
I no longer feel uneasy and intimidated from sharing a few of the things
that are most distressing about the proposed agreement.

The City of Portland's proposed language attempts to bar me from
discussing or revealing the final agreement details with any PWP's;

their language attempts to force me to provide written explanations of
my medical expenses  from my doctors, nurses, or  physician's assistants
at the will of the CIty;

their language attempts  to transfer ownership of my house to the City if
I elect to reside temporarily at a medical treatment center, even if I
still  owned my property upon seeking treatment;

their language confines me to welfare law and excludes the Americans With
Disabilities Act, with all of its ramifications and protections;

it excludes any reference to the voluntary contributions I am making to
the life of the City, as an Ingraham Volunteer for PD emergencies; as the
founder of the Greater Portland Parkinson's Support Group; as the person
who the local TV stations have filmed 6 times in 1998, the videotapes of
which some of you possess; as the author of the Governor's Parkinson's
Awareness Resolution; as the author of Senate Paper 868, the
Legislature's Parkinson's Awareness Month Resolution; as a Parkinson's
Advocate for the funding of the Udall Act; and as a person who widely
shares the rich knowledge I gain through this wonderful list.

I think my PD-related, less audible voice, quieter manner and tiredness
are being translated by the City into something like docility and
weakness.  Quite to the contrary, I am prepared like Nelson Mandela to
fight to the end for my rights and the rights of every PWP and CG on the
planet.

On November 2, I called for assistance with the sewer lien; the return
call from Social Services finally came on January 19, the day after
30-day Foreclosure was initiated, telling me that the CIty's window for
"abatements" had closed meanwhile;

the City's attorney informed my councillors to refuse my calls;

the CIty's associate attorney claimed I don't "remember" what I say and
am therefore " different";

This is why I am fighting for my rights, for our rights, and for those
that will follow me. I know that I AM BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.  It is
blatant, and I will find a lawyer somehow who listens and responds, and
moreover, who will take the assertive and protective posture I need.

Ivan Mfowethu Suzman