From Rochester, NY Democrat and Chronicle, Jan. 26th:

"Ali delivers surprise punch
The Greatest' wows Press-Radio Club crowd by appearing
at annual awards event
By Chad Roberts and Jim Mandelaro Democrat and Chronicle (Jan. 26, 1999)
--

"The Greatest" saved the night for the 50th Annual Rochester Press-Radio
Club Day of Champions Dinner on Monday night at the Riverside Convention
Center.
Muhammad Ali, arguably the most famous athlete in the world, made a
surprise appearance in support of his best friend, photographer Howard
Bingham, who was at the dinner to receive the Eastman Kodak Vision Award.
 Bingham, 59, has taken more than 1 million photographs of Ali, the
three-time heavyweight champion, since the two became friends in 1962,
when Ali was still known as Cassius Clay, the 1960 Olympic gold-medal
champion.  "Muhammad Ali!" Bingham shrieked, when his friend appeared and
slowly made his way toward the dais. Ali, 57, has Parkinson's syndrome.
"Who needs David Wells?" Bingham said, referring to the star Yankees
left-hander, who begged out of attending the banquet last week to stay in
Florida with his girlfriend, who is expecting their child.  "When I met
you, you were nothing," Ali said, poking fun at Bingham. Ali and Bingham
appeared together on the cover of Sports Illustrated last year.  Bingham
knew before his speech that Ali had flown into Rochester at 8 Monday
night on a private jet arranged by Eastman Kodak Co.
"When I told him that Wells had begged out, Ali said 'Hey, I'm on my
way,' " Bingham said.  The crowd began to chant "Ali, Ali," as the boxing
great posed with 13-year-old Jabriel Gause, the honorary chairman of the
dinner.  Ali shook hands with others on the dais, including Rochester's
Carmen Basilio, a former middleweight champion who once defeated one of
Ali's heroes, Sugar Ray Robinson, in 1957. On his way out, Ali blew the
crowd of nearly 1,000 a kiss.  Former Rochester Royals star Arnie Risen
followed Bingham and Ali at the microphone.  "I think I can sit down and
let (Ali) come back, and we'd all be happier," laughed the NBA Hall of
Famer.  Ali received the Coca-Cola Sports Personality of the Year Award
that was to have been presented to Wells."