        First of all I think all the privacy/access discussion over the last few
days was very valuable; I know I learned a great deal. The Parkinsn List
Web page came as a surprise to all of us - some welcomed it
wholeheartedly, others expressed doubts. The expressed majority opinion
is clearly in favor of Web access, and many good arguments have been made
for it. Now that we are all aware of how easily our e-mail messages can
be accessed, we can make our own informed decisions about whether or not
to post, whether to use our real names or an alias, etc. depending on our
individual situations.

Some people do have very valid concerns about their illness becoming
public. They are not paranoid and they are not ashamed to have PD.  Some
have good reason to fear they could loose their jobs, or have their
careers damaged, if their employers find out. Some have other equally
important personal reasons to be quiet. Their desire to keep their
condition to themselves must be respected, and no one should be made to
feel guilty about doing so.

I don't think most people ever realized that what many considered a
subscriber only e-mail list has never really been  private. Privacy in
the computer age may be just an illusion. Yet, just like the glass of
water, you can look at the Web issue in different ways as well. Most have
said that since it is so easy to find information on people, what's the
difference if we add another access point by putting the current 200 list
messages on the Web? But couldn't you also look at it this way - if there
is so little privacy today with the Internet, and all the computer files
and records on everyone, why should we make it even easier to invade; why
not preserve whatever privacy we can?

Anyway, however we look at it, let's just try to respect each other
opinions. There have been many exciting ideas about where we can go from
here. And surely there are many ways for those who do not wish to "go
public" to help further our shared cause. And thank you John for all your
hard work.

Linda