Mark Klapper <[log in to unmask]> wrote (in part):

>                 I visited my Dad last weekend <snip> I did notice some
> variability in both his physical and mental symptoms
<snip> he began freezing, and could do little more than shuffle his feet.  I
> asked him to push the shopping cart, hoping to shift his focus, and that
> seemed to solve most of the problem.
<snip> if something upsets or frustrates him, he can't seem to complete (or
> remember how to complete) a simple task.
> He just couldn't figure out the thermostat in the apartment, and the more I
> tried to explain it, the harder it seemed to become for him.  I finally put
> a post-it note on the wall next to it, which seemed to help.

Hi Mark -

Almost everything that I quoted above in your note sounded like classic Doug &
Mom experiences.  It's quite clear to me that any kind of stress can bring on a
"shutdown".  Mom and I have also discovered the shopping cart paradox (where
it's easier to push a cart than to ambulate independently).  One other thing
that helps Mom is to imagine stepping over a book that's on the ground in front
of her (that is, to imagine that there's a book there and then try to step over
it).

In general, it's quite common for me to have to give her step by step
instructions on getting through a task when she's "off".  ("Move your left food
forward", "Put your hand on the chair", etc.)

I hope this is helpful, at least in reaffirming that your case isn't an unusual
one, at least on these grounds.

Regards

- Doug (LDCG for Mom age 65 / diagnosed age 42)