On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, will johnston wrote:

> I have been told there are no reports of liver
> damage as with the other COMT inhibitor, Tasmar.

That feels good to know.

> and very tasty...) ++++Comtess is approximately tasteless. The size of a
> 200mg tablet can make swallowing difficult at times, particularly when
> "off" at the end of previous medication dose. If the tablet is allowed to
> remain in the mouth for a couple of minutes, it can be lightly crushed by
> the molars and made easier to swallow. I would prefer the German
> chocolates.++++

Heheh... Yes indeed.  :)
I also find the tablet a bit difficult to swallow properly, but I haven't
dared to chew them yet; I was afraid they would be awfully bitter or
something like that. Good to know they aren't, if the water supply runs
out...

> I found that the effect I got in the first few tablets was about as good as
> it was going to get. I found that I could reduce my Sinemet [Madopar}
> dosage slightly [cut down on dyskinesia] and still have a longer "on"
> time.++++

Mhm? After three days, I have dropped half a Madopar Quick Mite, so now
I'm taking 50 mg L-Dopa and 200 mg Comtess every three hours. I still
have a slight off period before taking the next dose, especially under
stress, and if I take another 25 mg Madopar I get that &%#$ dyskinesia...
Annoying that the window is so small! (On the other hand, that half pill
is a 50% increase.)

> ++++Getting and Parkinson's medication dosage and
> timing optimal is not easy and takes time, and once you have it down pat,
> your disease progresses and the dosage needs to be  readjusted. ++++.

It's a cat-and-mouse game... The trickiest is that it takes so long for a
pill to take effect, there's always at least 30 minutes until you notice
if it is too little or too much! Extremely frustrating, but you know
that too.

Thank you for your reply, Will!

John. (30 now / 28 dx / 18 onset)