hi camilla

At 10:59 1999/01/29 -0500, you wrote, in part:
>The discussion of having FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) about PD
>available, especially to new listmembers, seems an excellent one.   I do
>agree with the comment below, quoted by Janet P.
>                At 08:22 1999/01/26 -0600, charlie wrote, in part:
>>I agree- a great idea-.
>>And why don't we distribute it on joining the list and
>>have a weekly post reminding people that it is available.
>
>We don't need to DUPLICATE  general info that is available in many palces,
>but hit the main points and then give the "map" for finding more info
>elsewhere.  Thus, it would be short enough to send when Barb P. greets new
>members, and would not overwhelm them..  From the number of folks who have
>to ask how to leave the list, etc . it is apparent that many do NOT keep
>the instructions they receive,  or can't find them when needed, so adding a
>large amount of info would be a waste.   I like the idea of a regular post
>to remind about it, as I try to do with the info re: CARE list, and Janet
>does about her help with  procedural questions.
>Where exactly are we with this project now ???...

i agree with you camilla

there's a lot of pd info out there on the wwwweb portion of the internet
for those with access and with the curiosity to do minimal searches
so there's no need to make a lot of duplications

if this is intended as 'frequently asked questions' [faq]
for newbies to the pd mailing list
and not for pd in general
it's probably best to keep it simple
i.e. stick to the e-mail questions to start with

why don't the recently boarded newbies tell us all what they think?

what things confused the heck out of you when you first joined us?
that is,
aside from pd list subscription instructions and settings?

IYQ?
acronyms?
emoticons?
subject matter?
what do those darn >>> things mean anyway?

i would be more than happy to put together a faq-file
and submit it to the cyber-family for review

i wonder if files like these [faq, pd list instructions, care list info]
could be stored on the u of toronto server for requesting by e-mail,
in the way that the archive logfiles are now?
barb p?

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm