Dear Dr. Lee--

I saw your posting to the CASLL list, of which I have only recently
become a member. I wasn't sure it was appropriate to send my response to
the group (I don't know any of them and still feel very much an
outsider) but I thought it might be reasonable to send you a note
directly, especially since my suggestion may seem a bit self-interested.

I had originally thought that you were looking for a handbook rather
than a textbook for business communication, which is why I didn't
comment sooner, but recent posts seem to indicate that textbooks are in
the running too. If it's the latter you're seeking, I'd suggest that you
request review copies of Ron Blicq's *Guidelines for Report Writing* --
a very good handbook on the basics of report writing, based on Blicq's
highly successful *Administratively Write!* and *Technically Write* but
without the exercises. It's a Prentice Hall title.

For more or less basic coverage of business communication, how about
Margot Northey's *Impact!* or my own *Effective Business Communication*,
both of which are reasonably priced and geared for the introductory
college or university student. I have even used my book (in combination
with other readings) in a fourth-year course in rhetoric and
professional communication, and the students found it really helpful. It
may be that it falls into the category of "insufficiently theorized"
books that one of the other correspondents complained about, but the
audience for these books is not generally a theoretically sophisticated
group. They are more interested in learning *what to do* and how.

None of the works I've mentioned is a theory text, though my own PhD is
in rhetoric, and I have certainly based my advice both on fundamentals
of rhetoric and on fairly extensive personal experience and research,
particularly in the chapters on report writing, oral presentation, and
the job search. Northey's book is also very good -- although she's an
English person, she's the Dean of Business at one of the larger schools
in southern Ontario, Waterloo I think (though I could be mistaken about
which university it is).

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Dr. Jennifer MacLennan ([log in to unmask])
D.K. Seaman Chair, Technical and Professional Communication
College of Engineering
University of Saskatchewan
57 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK   S7N 5A9