Hello, Roberta --

Thanks for your kind reply.

My book is a Prentice Hall title, as well (as is Northey's). The third
edition of mine is brand new (last October). ISBN is 0-13-794009-2.

I'm not sure whether you'd be interested in another twist on this topic.
I guess it depends on what kind of students you deal with in your
centre. Anyway, a fourth edition of EBC, a variant one adapted to the
human services and titled "Effective Communication for the Helping
Professions" is at press, or nearly there -- submission deadline is
March 1, and I'm just about finished it. It's different from the
standard one not only because it avoids business terminology and the
metaphor of all human activity/interaction as "business," but also
because the chapter on reports gives a lot of detail regarding the types
of reports required in such fields as corrections and social services --
all adapted from the Ministry of Corrections guidelines (Ontario). It
will be out in fall 1999. I'm not really in the loop anymore since I
haven't taught some of this material recently, but apparently there
aren't many books that fit this niche (the "helping" people hate being
called "business" types). Apparently Lucy Valentino has one, but as far
as I know it's the only other on this topic (at least in Canada) I
haven't seen it at all, and I'm afraid I don't know the title or the
publisher of it.

PH Canada's web site has a link to regional reps; you can e-mail a
request right to them individually, in fact. I'll attach the site to
this mail.

Jen M.

PS I envy you Fredericton. It's a lovely city. (I'm a former Maritimer).
Mind you, I must say too that my new home (Saskatoon) has much to
recommend it -- beautiful city and wonderful people.
Dr. Jennifer MacLennan ([log in to unmask])
D.K. Seaman Chair, Technical and Professional Communication
College of Engineering
University of Saskatchewan
57 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK   S7N 5A9