Hi Tania,

Here's a quick summary of two aspects of Laurentian University that might be
relevant to your study.

1.     We have a bilingual (English and French) WAC program.   It includes
writing-intensive courses in most, though not all, programs.  As well, we are
introducing a writing dossier option as a different mechanism for students to
put together a collection of writing assignments from a number of courses
within a program of study.   Our WAC program exists in part because a
graduation writing competency requirement--that is, undergrads have to achive a
satisfactory level of "competency" in academic writing by the time they
graduate.   This is assessed either through students' work in WAC courses,
through the dossier option, or through our writing competency test (though we
are trying to get rid of the latter).   The fact that our WAC program was
initiated after the introduction of the writing competency requirement means
that we have a fundamental tension (this tension may be productive at times?)
between the concept of improving writing skills/learning to write "better"
(which the competency requirement presumes) and the concept of writing as a
mode of learning (a more WAC assumption).  We also are trying to place greater
emphasis in writing as a disciplinary activity.  We have a writing centre, not
housed in the English Dept, which offers peer-counselling as well as a variety
inside and outside class workshops for free to all students.   This rate of use
of these services has increased dramatically over the past few years.

2.    Laurentian also has a rhetoric stream as part of its English dept.
programming.  This is an undergrad option only.   Students graduate with an
English honours degree, but they focus on rhetoric courses rather than lit.
courses (though they still take some lit. courses).  The required rhetoric
courses are a 2nd year "Composition and Rhetorical Theory" course, 2 half
courses in the history of rhetoric (from classical to contemporary), and a
fourth year special topic seminar course.  As well, students have to take a few
rhetoric electives, which vary from year to year.

Hope this helps.   Let me know if you want more info.

Philippa Spoel
Laurentian University, Sudbury