Tania
Hi.  Thanks for your response.  No writing here other than English =
classes, unless you go to Adult Basic Ed or International Ed levels.
We have a wonderful Writing Centre, housed, as is Math Centre and =
faculty-targeted Research and Learning Centre, in the Library bldg.  The =
WC has a couple full-time staff members, a few faculty on one-course =
release assignments, and as many faculty volunteers as they can recruit =
each semester.  (My Advanced Comp students do a practicum in the Centre, =
but they are the only "peer" group to work in there).  The WC answers to a =
Writing Across the Curriculum Committee, which has an elected rotating =
chair.  The heads have typically been English and Communications faculty, =
but the Centre is not tied to the English dept.  In fact, we have ( asmall =
full-time English faculty of ten members) some English faculty who still =
see the Centre as remedial, to help deal with those pesky grammar things =
they hate to see in student writing.

Rhonda