-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

The following appeared on page A13 of the February 3, 1999 edition of
the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Among the science and statistics, senators get real-world view

By Rachel Simon

Sometimes stepping forward makes a difference, even when your feet won't
move.

A month ago, I wrote about Richard Pikunis, a 30-year-old law school
graduate with Parkinson's disease. Because the part of his brain that
produces the chemical dopamine is mysteriously dying - no one knows why
Parkinson's happens - he's losing the ability to stride. Eventually, all
movement will stiffen; speech and swallowing will lock up, too.

Like approximately a million Americans, 5 to 10 percent of whom are
diagnosed under the age of 40, Richard is becoming a statue.

But in these days of the Michael Jordan mournfest, it's good to remember
: You don't have to be an athlete to change the world.

One of the people who read that commentary was Sen. Arlen Specter,
chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee for the Departments
of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education. His subcommittee had
scheduled a hearing on stem cell research.

Stem cells are the primordial cells from which all other cells develop.
They were isolated for the first time last November, derived from excess
embryos created in a fertility clinic.

Theoretically, if stem cells are introduced into a brain with
Parkinson's, they might produce dopamine. They could also treat heart
disease, cancer or stroke. But the National Institutes of Health, to
which Specter's subcommittee makes recommendations, has been prohibited
from using federal funds for research by the congressional ban on
research using human embryos.

So Specter, considering whether Congress should lift the ban on stem
cell research, invited Pikunis to testify at the hearing.

And two weeks ago, this resident of Marlton, customer service
representative at Shop Rite and future lawyer went to Washington.

He rose at 4:30 a.m. - a challenge when your body won't rise. For some
years, his mobility has come courtesy of the medication L-dopa, but it
wears off after a few hours, leaving the Parkinson's to settle in like
concrete. Mornings mean a fight against rigidity, an act of will to take
a pill.

Eventually, L-dopa will cease helping him, which heightens his resolve
to speak out.

Pill swallowed, his body thawed. Then he and a friend from Shop Rite
rode a train to Washington. A storm was predicted; they hoped to
encounter no ice.

At 9 a.m., Pikunis sat at the witness table, before Specter and Sen. Tom
Harkin (D., Iowa), beside scientists and Ph.D.s. Beneath the fancy
ceiling with gold trim, he struggled to follow the scientific talk until
it was time to speak.

Then he told how Parkinson's walked down the aisle at his wedding,
weighed down his hand at law school. Now, "my son just celebrated his
first birthday and is learning to walk, as I am slowly losing my ability
to do so." He wondered whether he'd be able to teach his children to
ride a bike. But "the choice may not be mine to make."

Not until he finished did nervousness rush in. Then, the hearing
adjourned, and Richard stepped out into the sunlight. The storm had not
come; a spring-like breeze swept through the streets.

"I found him to be a very fine young man who is facing a very difficult
problem," Specter later said, "and really responding in a heroic way."

Specter was so impressed that he announced during the hearing that he
would draft legislation to lift the ban on NIH funding. Later he added,
"It should allay the fears of people who think we may be destroying
human life."

In the week since then, NIH has announced that the ban doesn't apply to
stem cells, since they are not viable on their own. Specter is
continuing to review the new NIH ruling. If he doesn't feel it is
comprehensive enough, he will go ahead with his proposed legislation.
And, says his deputy chief of staff, John Ullyot, if it becomes a fight
in Congress, Specter will "absolutely" support funding for stem-cell
research. His mind, after all, is made up.

After the hearing, Pikunis and his friend toured Washington. But soon
his left foot started dragging, his shins grew sore, and he began to
turn into a statue again. He swallowed his pill, and with effort they
returned to the train.

On the way home, he began to move once more. Exhausted, aching - but
feeling good. He had gone from Shop Rite to the Senate. His stepping
forward might bring life to millions who suffer from Parkinson's and
other debilitating conditions.

Someday he'll tell his son, "I once testified before the Senate." Maybe
by then he'll be able to run upstairs to get the witness list. A list
filled with Ph.D.s and scientists and senators, and Richard Pikunis'
name, too.