-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Gerry, and List
Richard Pikunis' intent was "to tell the truth" about Parkinson's and he
did.  I'm sure that his testimony will not soon be forgotten by Senators
Specter, Harkins and the others who heard him.  He has earned the thanks
of the Parkinson's community.

Rachel Simon cared enough about the subject to pursue the idea of a
column, and then another.  Her writing, Richard's willingness to be
interviewed, brought about Sen. Specter's invitation and at least in
part, his support for stem cell research.  Anyone wanting to drop her a
note may do so at: [log in to unmask]

But an interesting thing has happened.  During the past few months Dr.
Varmus lauded the potential of stem cell research and its effect on not
only Parkinson's, but stroke, diabetes, spinal cord injury, etc.
Ethicists who testified before Sen. Specter's committee in December in
support of the research agreed that the government should establish
ethical guidelines and that the government must commit to funding stem
cell research.  A few weeks ago when the attorneys at Health and Human
Services ruled that stem cell research may be funded by the federal
government, Dr. Varmus stated that this will not take place until there
have been conversations with congress and the public.  I haven't read
anything more about this since then.

Do you know if any of the Parkinson's organizations have any information
on this?

Best wishes,
Dolores