Somehow I don't think that SS is having their finest hour,
and I'm old enough to collect SS, without having to meet
any disability standards.

When I was 65 last year I called them to sign up for Medicare.
Because if you don't sign up for Medicare within 9 months
of your 65 birthday, you pay a penalty.
At that time I told them I had no intention of retiring within
the next year or two, maybe longer.  They informed me that I'd
be cheating myself out of $3,000 if I didn't sign up for SS at 65.
So like an idiot, I believed them.

I was completely ineligible for anything until Oct of my 66th. year.
On Oct. 27, 1998 they put money in my bank account, and again
in Nov, 1998, in Dec. I got $6.20.  No, the decimal isn't in the wrong
place, it was six dollars and twenty cents.
When I got my W-2  form, I called them because I had made more
money than I anticipated.  There were 27 paydays in 1998 instead of
26 as is normal, and I received a bonus I didn't expect.
So last Wed. I called to report that I thought maybe they had overpaid me,
(however, not anywhere near the 3K I was supposed to receive), and made
an appointment to go out there (Ft. Lauderdale, Fl) on Feb 12 to repay
them.

Yesterday I got a notice of my appointment stating all of the papers
I have to bring with me.  They also suggest I bring someone with me.

They want my bank account statements, rent receipts, check stubs ,
any military records, (none), and after reading it I felt they must
think they have been paying me forever and that I'm an Alien on SSI.

I have a Police Officer friend, do you suppose I should ask him to
go along with me????

As Ever.
Marjorie Moorefield,
just another librarian with PD