Does anyone share my growing concern at the current obsession with anti-
oxidants, and the quest for more and more powerful examples of such things?

It seems to me that the story goes something like this:

1/ Free Radicals let loose inside a Dopamine-producing cell can cause cell
   death, and if enough cells die, Parkinson's Disease will result.

2/ How do we stop the formation of free radicals? - bring in anti-oxidants.
   That will create an environment unsuitable for free radicals.

3/ If there is no noticeable effect this must mean that we haven't added
   enough anti-oxidants, so bring up bigger guns and we will blast the
   little critters out of the brain!

4/ Who noticed the flaw in the logic of item 3/ ? If there is no noticeable
   effect,( and so far there isn't), it could also be that free radicals are
   not THE cause of PD. Now don't misunderstand me, I am perfectly willing
   to accept the hypothesis that free radicals exist, and I have been taking
   Vitamin E for the past 6 or 8 years (I caught one of my neurologist
   friends chewing some: he told me the story, and in a spirit of 'Well why
   not - it might work' I followed his example.

5/ During that 6 or 8 years, my PD has not deviated one bit in its downward
   trend, and I know of no reports claiming to demonstrate such an effect.
   Who remembers MPTP?  - A Designer Drug that went bad and knocked-out
   every dopamine-producing cell in the Substantia Nigra caused a sensation
   at the time, and everyone started rushing about looking for MPTP in the
   environment. If I recall correctly, Selegeline was introduced because
   it prevented MPTP from doing its cell-zapping trick. (The other claims to
   fame of selegiline came along later as a useful (?) bonus).

6/ The point is: just because something COULD cause PD, doesn't mean it does
   cause PD. Let's note the facts, keep taking the Vitamin E, and lift our
   heads up a little higher and see if anything else is happening. After all,
   the Truth is Out There.... (Not down here).
Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>